Lean Project Manager - Los Angeles, CA
This page contains Job Description for Lean Project Manager in Los Angeles, California
|Copyright© 2014 International Technical Services, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
International Technical Services
Engineering Recruiters Engineering Employment Agency Engineering Headhunters Contract Staffing Agency Engineering Jobs
Position Title = Lean Project Manager (Life Science)
Status = Permanent Full Time with Benefits
Education Required = Bachelor's degree required. Master's preferred.
Experience Required =
Some Consulting Firm experience in Lean and Change Management is a plus
- 5 - 20 years of experience including strong Lean Project Management or Manufacturing.
- Experience managing multiple teams at different locations including change management (Explain Change
- Experience coaching and managing shop floor personnel in Lean Tools and Methods.
- Experience in Life Science is a plus.
Position Description = Company is a leading international group of laboratories providing an unparalleled range of testing
and support services to the pharmaceutical, food, environmental and consumer products industries and to governments.
They are searching for an Operational Excellence LEAN Project Manager to lead global initiatives. The Project Manager will
support implementation of the Operational Excellence methodology (based on LEAN/ 5S) and support other internal
consulting initiatives/ projects to industrialize and optimize lab processes across all labs of the group
Location = Los Angeles, CA
- Support the implementation of the Operational Excellence Methodology. This methodology is a practical and pragmatic
collection of lean/ six sigma/ 5s methods specifically adapted to the testing laboratory world. Objective is to implement
the defined project methodology on how to analyze a lab, identify and quantify improvement opportunities and finally
define and implement appropriate solutions (resulting in higher productivity, lower turnaround time and/ or lower
cost). Will follow the documented methodology/tools and processes required to improve operational excellence,
efficiency and cost in a lab sustainably.
- The project manager will, with support of the internal consulting team and other experts, define and document parts
of the methodology, review proposals from colleagues and lead/ participate in workshops to challenge and further
complete the methodology
- Run Operational Excellence projects. The first projects will be considered pilot projects and will have a strong focus on
identifying and realizing quick wins to gain momentum for the overall initiative. Another focus is the on-going training
of the relevant workforce of the participating labs as well as the workforce of the labs of the next implementation
wave by pulling them forward and involving them in the initial pilot. Key for this assignment is the ability to interact
with the local employees on all levels, provide on-going coaching and challenging as the change management aspect
of the pilot will be important (given the decentralized culture).
- The project manager will run the day-to-day project management of these pilot projects, including team management,
creation and tracking/ monitoring of project plans, escalation of challenges, managing interfaces with local teams,
identifying and testing solutions to identified operational issues, documenting overall impact, etc.
- Define specifications, resulting from the operational excellence project. Any recommendation or solution resulting from
an optimization project needs to be translated (if required) into specifications for IT or any involved other functional
area, including clear and well documented business case (financial impact and cost of change, importance for the
business, feasibility and complexity of implementation, etc.). Also, a continuing interface to IT has to be established to
ensure IT implementation follows specifications and is implemented appropriately as defined in the operational
- The project manager will ensure that all recommended and tested solutions that require system support are properly
documented and discussed with the relevant IT teams. He will also follow-up on the IT implementation to monitor
scope, time and quality of the implementation to ensure all pilot recommendations are finally implemented and
- Support or lead the documentation of best practices, either as a result of the operational excellence program or as
part of the "standardize lab footprints" initiative, requiring experience in analyzing and documenting processes (e.g.
using swim lane diagrams, value stream mapping, etc). The projectmanager will be involved in documentation of new
or existing best practices using the standard templates.
- Support or lead other internal consulting initiatives. Depending on the workload and team composition, a project
manager might also support or lead other internal consulting initiatives. They are expected to be a flexible team
member of the "consulting pool" that can be assigned to different projects or initiatives, depending on the overall